Friday, December 16, 2011

Towers of Power

This may or may not be a surprise to people but I love shoes. Ok, so this isn’t a surprise to my really good friends. However, to people that only know me on the surface or have made a snap judgment of me by my tomboyish attire would be surprised that I have a thing for Steve Madden, Nine West, Chinese Laundry, and to many others to name. I have drooled over Manolo Blahnik all the while knowing that I will never own a pair, like ever. This is THE thing that I can relate to with Sarah Jessica Parker’s character Carrie Bradshaw in Sex in the City. Shoes!!! I have witnessed the parting of the masses, a light shining down on the perfect pair of shoes, the angels singing, and me saying “Hello lover.”


Shoes are like the perfect thing to shop for when you are in a funk. You never have to worry about if they make your butt look big or them not fitting if you gained 10 pounds. The only time that you might not buy a particular pair of shoes is if you have cankles and in that case buy the shoes but just wear a really long pair of pants. I wonder if shoes with an ankle belt or strap would have the same slimming effect on your ankles that a belt does on your waist. You know, give the illusion of an ankle…something to ponder.  I have actually fallen in love with a pair of shoes, purchased them, and then bought an outfit to go with those shoes.

Shoes have never let me down even a particularly pesky pair in my possession that I know is going to kill me within a half an hour of putting them on. The torture of this particular pair is something I try to delay by not wearing them until I arrive at my destination. So I will wear flip flops or something like that in the truck until I arrive at the function. My Momma didn’t raise no dummy that’s for sure.

My particular shoe weakness is retro looking platforms with chunky heels. I loooovvvveeee them, like luvre. I love the old schoolness of them. I love how they make me feel taller, sexier, and they do something to my persona. We go together like Mickey and Mouse.

I have this pair of Steve Madden boots that are my most prized foot wear possession. I call them the “Towers of Power”. In them I am slimmer, taller, and ready to kick butt. The towers of power have traveled overseas with me. They are actually quite comfortable. They have been to see the statue of Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens next to Hyde Park in London. They have been up and down High Street in Edinburgh, Scotland. They were with me while I drank tea at The Elephant House and gazed at Edinburgh Castle. They have walked the streets of Dublin, Ireland. They have walked the streets of New York City, Washington DC, and Naptown. I will mourn their loss when they finally meet their demise.

So, don’t judge me on my love of shoes or not until you have at least walked a mile in a pair of them.

Write side of happy with a really awesome pair of shoes.




No comments:

Post a Comment